There are many components that assist in your garage door’s operating systems. One very important component is the garage door spring. Over time springs need to be replaced. Of course how would one know that their garage door has bad springs anyway and to know it is time to replace them? AAA Action Garage Doors will first explain the two types of garage door springs commonly used and how to identify when it is time to replace your garage door springs.
Types of Garage Door Springs; Torsion & Extension
It first helps to know what kind of springs your garage door uses. There are two types of springs used on garage doors. One is called the Torsion Spring and the second is called the Extension Springs.
Torsion Springs – For homes with large garage doors, torsion springs are often used especially if the garage door weighs anywhere between 400 to 900 pounds. The torsion spring will be located right above your garage door and will look like a long black tube which is the springs cover.
Extension Springs – For the more common 9×7 foot garage door, extension springs are mostly used. Extension springs are found on the end of the track on the ceiling and look very much like trampoline springs but are quite a bit longer. These springs are found at the end of each side of the tracks.
Signs Garage Door Springs are About to Break
One of the first and most obvious signs that you have some bad springs is, of course, they are broken. At this point you just call a garage door technician to replace them. However it is far wiser to replace them before they break and a serious accident occurs. There are some characteristics or early warning signs that your springs are wearing out and will need replacing.
• Your garage door jerks or even stops while it is activated.
• Your garage door appears to be sagging or is crooked on one side.
• You may notice that the springs themselves have gaps or seem spread a part kind of like a slinky toy–or in other words, the spring is stretched out.
• Recent collisions with the garage door can cause damage to garage door springs as well.
Why Garage Door Springs Need to Be Replaced
It is very important to replace your garage door spring as they start to wear out. The springs help support the weight of the garage door. This is important for a smooth operating system and proper function of your garage door. In addition, it also is most important for safety. There have been reported injuries and accidents that were due to worn springs giving way and the door falls down when opened. Many may be aware that garage door springs are good for about 10,000 uses, which depending on the usage of the garage door, could range from 7 to 12 years before the springs need replacing. It helps to extend the usage of your springs and other components of your garage door with proper maintenance. Applying a silicone lubricant on all of the moving parts once a year will greatly extend your garage door’s operating system, including the springs.
Garage Door Services in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
If you notice your garage door springs are in need of replacement, it is strongly recommended to replace them now before a serious injury or damage occurs. AAA Action Garage Doors is a call away to new springs and proper maintenance of your garage door. Contact AAA Action Garage Doors today.
The garage door is a part of daily life for most; it is consistently being used throughout the day; every day. With the abuse they endure and the wear and tear they exhibit, doing everything you can to extend their lifespan, overall condition, and performance is important to avoid the need for premature replacement or even avoidable repairs. We at AAA Action Doors would like to relate a few tips and advice on how you can extend the life expectancy of your garage door.
Tips to Extend Life of Your Garage Door
1) Finish Protection for Your Garage Door. The finish that is on your garage door is not only in place to enhance the aesthetics, but it is primarily there to protect the panels from the elements and climate. If there is any damage or deterioration to the finish or panels, it is susceptible to additional damage that expedites the deterioration of the panels, which will eventually extend into other components. It is essential to ensure the integrity of your finish so that it might do its job and protect the garage door. Below are a few tips to protect the various types of finish commonly used on garage doors.
– Paint. Any paint that is peeling or chipped, simply sand down the rough edges to keep additional paint from peeling off and get it prepared for the new coat. Use high quality paint designed for exterior use that is resistant to the climate and typical weather conditions of your area; ensure meticulous coverage to efficiently coat the door. If your garage door is wood and left exposed, water will damage it as well as constant direct sunlight. To properly maintain the garage door, repaint the garage door every other year. Metal doors can be exposed to moisture, resulting in rust damage. Like wood doors, ensure the metal door is well protected.
– Stain. Stain is generally used on wooden garage doors and water can easily absorb into the wooden materials if the stain has depleted over time. Moisture will make the wooden panels warp, rot, and even mold. Use a lacquer designed to fight against the sun’s rays and be water resistant to prevent the water from ruining the wood, as well as the UV rays from fading out the stain.
– Powder coating. The plastic coating needs to be cleaned periodically to reduce the chemical films that settle onto the surface.
2) Avoid Garage Door Panel Damage. High wind damage can destroy the paneling on the garage door. If you are prone to having excessively high winds in your area, make sure to invest in a strong grade of resistance to the high wind resistant panels. Keep the games and sports away from directly in front of the door. Kids often get caught in the moment and balls are often responsible for dented panels.
3) Care for Moving Garage Door Parts. Perform an inspection on your garage door, or enlist the service of a professional. During your assessment, tighten the loose hardware, apply the appropriate lubricant solvent to the designated areas, clean the debris off the tracks, and check the garage door for any signs of warping or other damage. If any parts are missing or damaged, notify your professional to make the necessary replacements.
4) Routine Garage Door Maintenance. Make a routine list of the maintenance you perform to your garage door and don’t overlook your tasks. Schedule professional maintenance, tune-up, and inspection services throughout the year to ensure the garage door is getting the proper treatments, cleanings, and small part replacement as needed.
Garage Door Services in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
With a properly maintained garage door you will increase the lifespan, reduce the need for major repairs, as well as keep your residential garage door working at peak efficiency. For your professional services, contact AAA Action Doors and let our experts do the rest.
A garage door is a huge moving mechanism and needs to be taken care of. The door needs to be cleaned, maintained and repaired regularly to ensure that it is in good working condition. The garage is made of parts that work together and when one of them is broken the door may not work at all. The best way to repair a garage door or know what might be wrong with it is to know what the main parts are. Knowing the parts and what to look for is a great way to start. It can also help when you are calling a professional repair company to come out and make the repair.
AAA Action Garage Doors Lists the Most Common Garage Door Parts & How They Work
Garage Door Panels: When they are talking about the door for your garage they are talking about the large exterior pieces. The door can be made from several types of materials such as wood, vinyl and metal. The most common style of garage door is to have panels. These panels are fixed together to make one door. The panels will work together to pull up and down so the garage door runs smoothly. This is the part of the garage door that is seen from the street and can help increase or decrease your curb appeal. If you have damaged panels you may need to have them repaired or replaced.
Garage Door Hinges: These are the part of the garage door that helps to keep the panels together. The reason that the panels are not just screwed together is because they need to bend so the door can roll up. A garage door that uses a motor to roll up the garage door needs to slide up along the tracks. That is why each panel is affixed with a set of hinges to allow the movement that is necessary. If the hinge breaks or is damaged the door will not open and the panels can become separated.
Garage Door Tracks: This is an extremely important part of the garage door and needs to be installed properly. The tracks are often a metal rail that allows the door to roll up and down. The reason that the tracks need to be installed correctly is to keep the door quiet and on the tracks. If they are not level or not kept clean the door can fall off the track or stop moving. It can also cause shaking which will cause the noise no one wants to hear.
Garage Door Sensors: The sensors are attached on the sides of the garage just inside about a foot and a half up. They are there as a safety measure so that if anything is in the way the door will not close. The sensors make a beam across the garage so they need to be level and even so that they work right. The sensors can malfunction or become damaged and they may need to be replaced.
Emergency Garage Door Repair & Maintenance in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
AAA Action Garage Doors offers expert garage door services. Contact us for all your garage door needs.
Your garage door is part of your home but it is also its own unit. It has a motor, springs, hinges and tracks that are all needed for the door to work properly. You often don’t think about improving your home unless you have outgrown it, need to downsize, are leaving the city or you are upgrading to a better house. The same is not true when it comes to the garage door. You will need to evaluate the garage door regularly to determine if it is working or if it is time to replace it with a new door. You may not know it but there are some signs that you can look for when you are determining a replacement.
AAA Action Garage Doors Lists Signs & Reasons You May Need to Replace Your Garage Door
Garage Door is Dented or Damaged: The garage door is on the exterior of your home. The door is often made of vinyl, metal or wood and when it is in the environment too long it can be damaged. The sun, rain or wind are all ways that the environment can cause some damage to the door. The damage can look like the paint starting to peel off or the wood looking warped. The more common way that your garage door is damaged is by some type of force. Many times it is from a ball sent flying by children or a car that is moved before the door is open all the way. This damage may be bad enough that you cannot have it repaired any more and you may need to have it replaced.
Garage Door Won’t Open, Close or Work Properly: Nothing is worse than when you pull up to your garage door and hit the clicker and nothing happens. The garage door is depended on to open and close at the click of a button and when it doesn’t we are stuck outside. The interesting part is that the majority of people actually use the garage door as their main entrance and when it stops working it can put a hiccup in their routine. The door runs as long as all the parts are in working order and functioning properly. When one or many of these parts malfunction the door may no longer be operational. That can many times be repaired but there are times that repairs are out of the question and the door will need to be replaced.
Garage Door Makeover & Upgrade: You most likely have a door that is the same as the rest of the doors in your neighborhood. One way that you can upgrade the look of you home and increase your curb appeal is to replace the garage door. The garage door can be many different styles and there are some that better suit your personal style. Talk to a garage door repair company that offers replacement and check on the options that are available to you.
Garage Door Repairs, Replacement & More in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
AAA Action Garage Doors offers expert garage door services. Contact us to learn more.
Garage doors are the largest moving component to your home. Through multiple use on a daily basis, the garage door will experience wear and tear. With more wear and tear occurring, you should expect the need for some repairs. There are some repairs that are more common than others. With that in mind, we at AAA Action Doors would like to share some of the frequent repairs we see in garage doors across the Las Vegas, Nevada Valley.
Garage Door Jammed to One Side, Stuck Open or Closed
There could be a few things contributing to sticking garage doors. A remote garage opener could be at fault, check batteries, sensors and switches first. For manually opening garage doors, check for obstructions in the wheel track first. Lubricants can deteriorate under different weather conditions and temperatures. One of the major causes of stuck garage doors is that they are hung unevenly; cables and springs need to be of even length to avoid the springs from side to side.
Garage Doors Shakes & Jerks When Opening or Closing
The easiest way and usually the most common reason to the garage door opening garage door is by removing any obstructions or debris from the tracks. If the tracks are clear and clean being the first step afforded to fixing the problem. If the tracks are clean, check the quality of the springs; they should be the same length and stretch the same amount. The motors for automatic doors that control both sides of the door may be faulty, if necessary replacing instead of repairing is what is called for.
Garage Door Makes Loud Popping or Banging Noises
Dirt or debris in the track or lack of lubrication creates the loud screeching, grinding or squealing noises you hear coming from the garage door during operation in most cases. Clean the length of the tracks where the door wheels run, do not use harsh cleaners to remove dirt and ensure the tracks are clean. Use oil specific designed for garage doors to ensure the hardware is well lubricated. To ensure the problem is rectified, run the door up and down a few times.
Garage Door Falls Too Quickly When Lowered
A falling garage door is a potential risk to people’s safety and property damage. This problem is caused by broken cables or overly loose springs. Failing springs and cables are dangerous and should not be inspected and repaired by someone who is not trained. Do not replace springs or cables on your own; contact the professionals for assistance.
Remote Control Door Opener Won’t Work
Check the batteries and switches first to make sure the device is powered up. If the problem persists the garage door still might have problems opening or closing correctly. Check the cables and clearing the tracks; the garage opener motor or sensors will likely need replacing.
Garage Door Repair & Maintenance Services in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North Las Vegas & Henderson Nevada
If your garage door is not operating at peak performance, contact AAA Action Doors and let our experts get your garage door repaired and maintained quickly and efficiently.