When the garage door opens and closes, garage door springs are the counterbalancing component that winds and unwinds. If a garage door spring breaks, it can be a nuisance. Many homeowners are unsure if they should open or close the garage door when the springs are broken. Though it is okay to do it, it should have the immediate attention of a garage door repair expert for efficient spring replacement to ensure safety and efficiency. Today, we at AAA Action Doors would like to take the opportunity to share how you open and close garage doors if the springs are broken.
What Happens if Your Garage Door Spring Breaks?
You will be unable to operate your garage door like usual when the spring breaks in your garage door. A broken spring is likely a problem when you experience the issues listed below.
1) The door is not moving when the garage door opener motor is running.
2) Lifting the door fails though you can hear the garage door opener trying.
3) A loud pop noising is heard when the spring breaks.
5) The garage door is off its tracks
Can you Open a Garage Door with a Broken Spring
It will take some manual effort, but a garage door can still open if the spring is broken. Since the broken spring makes the garage door heavier, using your garage door opener could burn out the motor. If it has a broken spring, it is recommended that you not attempt to open your garage door. If in the event you must open the door to get a car out before a professional can replace the springs, factor in these main points.
1) Ensure your feet aren’t under the door, keep fingers away from pinch points and protect your back to maintain your safety.
2) From the center of the door is where you lift, and you keep it level as you push the door up.
3) Because they could bend, do not push or pull on the garage door panels.
4) Be sure to keep the door level when it’s open as the garage door will not stay open without support.
5) Do not keep it open, shut the garage door immediately after getting your car out.
How Do You Open a Garage Door when the Spring Breaks?
To open your garage door manually, follow these steps below.
1) By pulling on the rope attached to the opener’s J-arm until the mechanism unlatches, disengage the garage door opener from the door.
2) Since the garage door will be too heavy to handle by yourself, enlist the help of another person.
3) Until it settles on the horizontal rails, lift the door.
Do not endanger yourself by attempting to open the garage door anyway if the garage door is too heavy to move.
Can I Close My Garage Door with a Broken Spring?
Reverse the steps for opening it to close your garage door.
1) To get it out of its resting place on the horizontal rails, start moving the garage door down.
2) Slowly guide the garage door down until it reaches the bottom with slowly guide the garage door down until it reaches the bottom with another person.
3) Re-engage the garage door opener to the garage door.
Because a sudden drop may damage more components, never let the garage door crash.
Garage Door Repairs, Replacement & More in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
When you need garage door repair services in Las Vegas, NV and surrounding areas, call AAA Action Doors and let us provide repair services among the many garage door services we provide.