Garage door replacement services provide professional assistance in removing old doors, selecting and installing new ones, ensuring proper alignment and functionality, and offering maintenance and repair options when needed. However, many people prefer to attempt replacing the garage door themselves. Today, with this in mind, we at AAA Action Garage Doors would like to discuss the steps involved in replacing the garage door.
Is Replacing a Garage Door Easy?
1) Garage Door Measurements & Preparation. This step generally includes measuring the existing garage door’s dimensions, including width, height, and thickness. You need to select the type and style of the new garage door that suits your needs and preferences. Take the time to research and purchase a new garage door, ensuring it matches the measurements and meets your local building codes.
If you decide to take on this project yourself, you will also need to gather the necessary tools for the installation, such as a tape measure, level, power drill, wrenches, and a ladder.
2) Removal of Old Garage Door. Start by disconnecting the power to the garage door opener to ensure safety. Remove any existing hardware, including hinges, rollers, and tracks. Next, unscrew the old garage door from the tracks and carefully lower it down. Make sure you dispose of the old door responsibly.
3) Installation of New Garage Door. You will need to attach the weatherstripping or bottom seal to the bottom edge of the new garage door. Install the vertical tracks on both sides of the opening, ensuring they are plumb and securely fastened. Next install the horizontal tracks along the ceiling of the garage, making sure they are level and properly aligned. Lift the new garage door into place, placing it on the tracks. Install the rollers into the track and attach the hinges to the panels. By this stage, you will need to connect the vertical and horizontal tracks securely.
4) Installation of Garage Door Opener: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the garage door opener, ensuring it is aligned properly. You will need to secure the opener bracket to the top section of the door. Install the motor unit on the ceiling, ensuring it is securely fastened. Connect the opener arm to the bracket and adjust the tension.
5) Garage Door Testing & Adjustments: From here, reconnect the power to the garage door opener. Test the functionality of the garage door by operating it several times. Check the balance and alignment of the door, making adjustments if necessary.
Lubricate all moving parts, including rollers, tracks, and hinges, to ensure smooth operation. Verify that the safety features, such as the photoelectric sensors, are functioning correctly.
6) Finishing Touches: Install any additional accessories, such as handles or decorative hardware, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Inspect the installation for any loose screws or bolts and tighten them as needed. Clean up the work area and remove any debris.
7) Garage Door Maintenance & Care: Regularly inspect and lubricate the garage door and its components to ensure optimal performance. Make sure to test the safety features periodically to ensure they are working correctly. Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for any maintenance or servicing requirements.
Garage Door Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Remember, this is a general overview, and the specific steps may vary depending on the type and model of the garage door you choose. It’s always recommended to consult the manufacturer’s instructions and, if needed, seek professional assistance for a successful garage door replacement. Also, another consideration is that many warranties are only valid when installed by a pro and properly maintained by the experts as well. There are many specialized tools involved in the process and it can be very overwhelming for those without experience. Ultimately, to ensure a safe and long-term replacement in Las Vegas, NV, call AAA Action Garage Doors and let us take care of the rest.