In the hustle and bustle of daily life, the maintenance of our garage doors can often be overlooked. However, regular inspections and upkeep are essential for ensuring their longevity, safety, and efficient operation. Today AAA Action Garage Doors would like to explore how often you should inspect your garage door system and what such an inspection should include.
How Often Should You Check Your Garage Door?
As a general rule, a comprehensive inspection of your garage door system should be conducted at least once a year. However, for households with high usage of the garage door, semi-annual inspections are recommended. Additionally, after extreme weather conditions like heavy snow or storms, it is wise to perform a quick check to ensure everything is still functioning correctly.
What Does a Garage Door Inspection Include
A thorough garage door inspection covers several key components of the system. Here is what a professional garage door technician will focus on:
Visual Inspection – Start with a visual check of all the garage door parts:
• Door Panels: Look for signs of wear, damage, or rust.
• Springs: Check for signs of wear or rust. Note any gaps in torsion springs, which indicate they’re worn out.
• Cables: Look for fraying or signs of wear.
• Rollers: Check for smooth operation and look for signs of wear or damage.
• Tracks: Ensure they are aligned and free of debris.
Balance Test – This test checks if the garage door is properly balanced:
• Disconnect the opener using the red pull cord and manually open the door halfway. A well-balanced door should stay in place, smoothly open, and close.
Reverse Mechanism Test – This is a safety feature test:
• Place a piece of wood or a brick on the ground in the path of the door. When the door comes into contact with the object, it should reverse. This is critical to ensure the safety of children and pets.
Photo Eye Test – Another safety feature test involves the photo eye sensors:
• Pass an object in front of the photo eye sensors as the door is closing. The door should reverse immediately.
Door Opener Inspection – Check the garage door opener for:
• Any unusual noises during operation.
• Proper mounting and secure fastening of the opener unit.
Lubrication – Proper lubrication is vital for smooth operation:
• Apply a silicone-based lubricant to rollers, springs, and hinges. This helps in reducing noise and prolonging the life of these components.
Hardware Tightening – Vibration from the door operation can loosen hardware:
• Tighten all bolts and brackets holding the garage door and the opener in place.
• Stay Informed: Familiarize yourself with the user manual of your garage door system to understand specific maintenance needs.
• Watch and Listen: Be aware of any strange noises or irregular movements when your garage door operates.
• Professional Inspection: While DIY inspections are valuable, having a professional inspection annually ensures that all aspects of the door’s mechanics and safety features are thoroughly checked.
Garage Door Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Regular inspections of your garage door are not just about fixing problems after they occur but about preventing issues before they arise. An annual or semi-annual inspection routine will help maintain the optimal function of your garage door, ensuring safety and efficiency. While some aspects can be checked by homeowners, the expertise of a professional is invaluable in maintaining the health and safety of your garage door system. For garage door inspection, repairs and more, call AAA Action Garage Doors today.