Many people take the garage doors on their home for granted. That is, until there is a problem, and you quickly realize how much you rely on your garage door. For most homes, this is the most frequently used entrance into your home. When you are facing garage door replacement, it may leave you wondering how many years you can expect to get out of your new garage doors. The answer to the question is, it depends. AAA Action Garage Doors is here to talk about what you can expect out of your garage door and how often it may need to be replaced.
How Long a Garage Door Lasts Depends on Materials
Just like anything else, when you are talking about how long a product is going to last, it depends on how what materials that product is made out of. The same goes for your garage doors. The number of years you can plan on your garage door lasting will depend on the quality of the materials as well as the materials themselves. Following are some of the most commonly used materials that make up garage doors and how long you can plan on them lasting.
– Steel Garage Door: Steel doors are one of the most durable options out there. They are made of two layers of steel and then covered with composite materials. They are easily painted but can be subject to rust and dings. All in all, you can generally count on these doors lasting for about 20-30 years before you need to have them replaced.
– Aluminum Garage Door: You don’t have to worry about aluminum doors rusting like you do with steel, but they can still dent easily. These doors are also a durable option, and most people can plan on a lifespan of 20-30 years when they take care of them properly.
– Wood Garage Door: These garage doors are an appealing and natural look for your home. Wood has a little shorten lifespan of 15-20 years when compared to other garage door options. They are made of several layers of wood to help with warping and can either come finished or be finished onsite to get the desired color that you are looking for.
– Wood Composite Garage Door: If you are looking for a wood look, but want a more durable option, you can get that from wood composite. They will last 20-30 years when properly maintained. They closely resemble real wood but are much more durable.
– Fiberglass Garage Door: These doors usually have a steel frame that is then bonded with fiberglass panels. This is another durable option and can last 20-30 years before you need to replace it. Keep in mind, they can break when they come in contact with a high impact.
– Vinyl Garage Door: This is probably the most durable option out there. Vinyl doors are a maintenance free option that come in a variety of different colors.