Garage door safety sensors are a crucial component of modern garage door systems, playing a vital role in preventing accidents and ensuring the security of your home. These sensors are designed to detect obstacles or obstructions in the path of a closing garage door, causing the door to reverse its operation and return to an open position. Understanding the role of these sensors and performing regular maintenance is essential to keep your garage door system operating safely and effectively. Today, we at AAA Action Garage Doors would like to discuss the basics of garage door safety sensors.
How Do Garage Door Safety Sensors Work?
Garage door safety sensors typically consist of two units, a sender and a receiver, that are installed on either side of the garage door, a few inches above the ground. They work by emitting an infrared beam between them. When the garage door is closing, this beam creates an invisible barrier. If anything, be it an object, a person, or a pet, breaks the beam while the door is closing, the sensors immediately signal the garage door opener to halt its operation and reverse the door’s movement. This prevents potential collisions or entrapments that could lead to serious injuries or damage.
Why Do Garage Doors Need Safety Sensors?
The primary purpose of these safety sensors is to protect people, pets, and property from being caught beneath a closing garage door. Children playing near the garage, pets wandering into the doorway, or even your own vehicle can trigger the sensors, causing the door to stop and reverse. This advanced safety feature has saved countless lives and prevented numerous accidents since its introduction.
Do Garage Door Safety Sensors Wear Out? What Maintenance Can I Do?
To ensure the continued functionality of garage door safety sensors, regular maintenance is essential. Here are some key maintenance tips:
1) Cleaning: Dust, dirt, and debris can accumulate on the sensor lenses over time, obstructing the infrared beam and affecting sensor performance. Gently clean the sensors using a soft, lint-free cloth to remove any buildup. Avoid using abrasive materials that could scratch the lenses.
2) Alignment: Proper alignment of the sensors is critical for accurate detection. If they become misaligned due to accidental bumping or vibrations, they might not function correctly. Check the alignment by visually inspecting the sensors’ positions and making sure the LED lights on each sensor are steady and not blinking.
3) Obstruction Check: Periodically test the sensors’ effectiveness by placing an object, such as a cardboard box, in the path of the door while closing it. The door should immediately reverse when the object breaks the infrared beam. If it doesn’t, it’s a sign that the sensors need attention.
4) Sensor Wiring: Examine the sensor wires for any signs of damage or wear. Damaged wiring can interfere with the sensors’ communication, affecting their ability to detect obstacles.
5) Proper Installation: If you’re installing a new garage door opener or sensors, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Improper installation can lead to sensor malfunctions.
Garage Door Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Remember that garage door safety sensors are a critical safety feature, and any issues with their functionality should be addressed promptly. If you’re unsure about performing maintenance or encounter persistent problems, it’s recommended to seek professional assistance from a qualified garage door technician. Generally, garage door safety sensors are essential components that contribute to the safe operation of your garage door system. Understanding their role in preventing accidents and injuries, along with regular maintenance, will help ensure that your garage door operates smoothly and without compromising the safety of your loved ones and belongings. For your garage door maintenance, repair, installation, and replacement services in the Greater Las Vegas, NV area, contact AAA Action Garage Doors and let our team of experts assist you!