A noisy garage door can be an annoyance for homeowners. The loud and disruptive sounds can disturb your family, neighbors, and even signal underlying issues with your garage door system. Today, we at AAA Action Garage Doors would like to explore the common causes of noisy garage doors and provide practical solutions to silence those troublesome sounds.
Why is My Garage Door So Loud?
1) Lack of Lubrication: One of the most common causes of garage door noise is the lack of proper lubrication. Over time, the moving parts of your garage door system, such as hinges, rollers, and tracks, can become dry and start producing irritating sounds.
2) Worn-Out Garage Door Rollers & Hinges: Garage door rollers and hinges can deteriorate with age. When they become worn or damaged, they can cause friction and generate noise as the door moves along the tracks.
3) Loose or Damaged Garage Door Components: Loose nuts, bolts, and screws in the garage door system can rattle and create unwanted sounds. Additionally, damaged components like cables, springs, or pulleys can contribute to noisy operation.
4) Imbalanced or Misaligned Garage Door Tracks: If your garage door tracks are misaligned or have gaps, it can lead to noisy movements as the door struggles to follow its intended path.
5) Tight Garage Door Springs: While garage door springs play a crucial role in lifting and lowering the door, if they are too tight, it can lead to loud squeaking or popping sounds during operation.
How Do I Make My Garage Door Quieter & Less Noisy?
1) Regular Lubrication: To prevent noisy operation, make sure to lubricate all moving parts with a high-quality silicone-based or lithium-based garage door lubricant. Focus on the rollers, hinges, tracks, and springs. Perform this maintenance every few months to keep the system well-lubricated.
2) Replacement of Rollers and Hinges: If your garage door’s rollers and hinges are visibly worn or damaged, consider replacing them with new, nylon rollers and well-lubricated hinges. This can significantly reduce noise and improve the door’s overall performance.
3) Tighten Hardware: Inspect all nuts, bolts, and screws in the garage door system. Tighten any loose components to eliminate rattling noises. Be cautious not to overtighten, as this can cause other problems.
4) Alignment & Track Maintenance: Check the alignment of the tracks and ensure they are parallel. Adjust any misaligned sections and remove any obstructions in the track’s path. Keeping the tracks clean and well-maintained can also reduce noise.
5) Tension Adjustment: If your garage door springs are too tight, consult a professional technician to adjust their tension properly. Do not attempt to adjust the springs yourself, as they are under extreme pressure and can be dangerous if mishandled.
6) Regular Professional Garage Door Maintenance: Consider scheduling regular professional garage door maintenance. A trained technician can identify potential issues before they become noisy problems, ensuring your door operates smoothly and quietly.
Garage Door Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
A noisy garage door can be a nuisance, but it’s usually a problem with readily available solutions. Regular maintenance, lubrication, and addressing any worn or damaged parts can go a long way in reducing the noise and extending the life of your garage door. If you encounter persistent noise issues that you can’t resolve on your own, it’s best to consult a professional garage door repair service to ensure your door operates quietly and safely. Call AAA Action Garage Doors for quality garage door repairs on the Las Vegas Valley.