We want our garage doors to open and close effortlessly every time we use them. Problems can be caused with these very heavy doors if they fail to work the way they are supposed to. It is vital for homeowners to realize what they can or cannot take care of on their own as they run the risk of making the problem worse, costing more money in the end. Knowing how to take care of a few usual problems you’ll encounter with your garage door will allow you to protect your house, cars and other belongings.
Garage Door Maintenance Problems That Homeowners Can Take Care of on Their Own
1. If you hear loud noises when your garage door is operating, it may be caused by dirt or debris in the tracks or insufficient lubrication. Noises might sound like grinding, squealing or loud screeching. You can take care of this by cleaning out the entire track so the wheels will run without smoothly. Always use lubrication that is formulated for garage doors or WD-40 on all the tracks and hardware. Open and close the door a few times to see if it runs quieter.
2. If the garage door is moving side to side or moves unevenly, there may be an obstruction in the tracks where the wheels run. If there isn’t, then check the springs. They should all stretch the same amount and be the same length. There might also be an issue with the motors that control both sides of the door and may need replacement.
3. Garage door that stick open or closed can be caused by few things. With remote garage door openers, it might be an issue with the batteries. The sensors and switches will need to be checked too. If there have been weather changes recently, it may be affecting the lubricant. You may need to use more when the door is sticking. If the garage doors are hung unevenly it will cause the door to get stuck, so check all the cables and springs. If the springs are not all even, the door will stick.
4. Broken cables or extremely loose springs will cause a garage door to close very quickly. This can be very dangerous for anyone under the door. With the door is closed, take a look at the whole unit and try and see what the problem might be. If you suspect it’s the springs or cables, do not try replacing them on your own. These are under a tremendous amount of pressure and can cause serious injury as proper equipment needs to be used.
5. If your remote control door opener isn’t working and you’ve checked the batteries, you should make sure the device is powered up. If you still have issues and have tried everything you may need to replace the garage door opener motor or the sensors.
Garage Door Repair, Maintenance & Installation Services in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
If you’re experiencing issues with your garage door and you’re worried you may not be able to fix it in your own, call AAA Action Doors to take care of the problem. We are always happy to assist!