When it comes time to replace the garage door, knowing its measurements are vital. To help you ensure that your measurements are accurate, we at AAA Action Doors have listed a guide below.
How to Measure Single Panel or Sectional Garage Door
1) At the widest point, measure the width of the opening, which is the distance between the right and left sides of the finished opening. Ideally, the interior of the garage door opening should be framed with 2″ x 6″ wood. Be sure to inspect for any irregularities, like jambs which are not square.
2) At the highest point, measure the height of the opening. Between the floor and the top of the finished opening is the distance you are looking for. For installation of the vertical track, up to 5″ is required on each side for installation. Center post should be a minimum of 10″ wide if this is a 2-door installation.
3) The areas beside the openings need the width measured. For installation of the vertical track you need up to 5″ is required on each side. Center post should be a min. of 10″ wide should this be a 2-door installation.
4) The space between top of the door opening and the ceiling, or to the lowest obstruction at ceiling, requires measuring.
5) At the opening to the rear of the garage or nearest obstruction, measure the distance. The backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional 18″ for manual lift doors for sectional type garage doors. The door’s backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional 4’2″ is necessary if an electric opener is to be installed.
Measuring Recommendations: Consider the following suggestions.
– Ensure the floor is level and if the previous door was custom fit.
– Make certain electrical outlet for door opener use.
– All wood jambs are in good condition, and a stable header needs to be verified.
– Identify any pipes, ductwork, or obstructions above the door that might obstruct operation of the door.
– Observe any lights or stairs in the way.
How Much Clearance is Needed for a Roll Up Garage Door
1) At the opening at the widest point, measure the width, which is the space between the right and left sides of the finished opening. Again, look for any abnormalities like jambs that are not square or in poor condition.
2) From the highest point, measure the height of the opening, which is between the floor and the top of the finished opening. Like an un-level floor, search for irregularities.
3) Check required clearances for each specific door model being considered after measuring the side-room clearances on each side of the opening. General side-room requirements are:
– Manually lifted doors will require on each side, 4” to 6” is required from the manually lifted doors.
– On the side with the electric motor, electrically operated doors will require 14” to 18”.
– Chain hoist operated doors will require 5.25” to 9.5” on the side with the hoist.
4) From the top of the door opening and the ceiling, or to the lowest obstruction at the ceiling, measure the headroom clearance. For each specific door model being considered be sure to check required clearances. By door model and height, headroom requirements can vary substantially.
5) Between the door opening, or to the nearest obstruction, measure the backroom clearance. The backroom clearance will be the same as the headroom clearance, for coiling roll-up doors.
Garage Door Measuring Considerations
– Make sure the floor is level and if the previous door a custom fit.
– Electrical outlet for door opener uses verification.
– Header stability and wood jambs are in good condition needs to be verified.
– Keep in mind any pipes, ductwork, and so forth above the door that might obstruct performance.
– Consider any lights or stairs in the way.
Garage Door Repair & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
When it comes to your garage door installation and replacement, it can be a tricky process. Call in the experts of AAA Action Doors to help you with the details and labor for quality and safety.