Your garage is typically used to house your vehicle and many of your other belongings. The average family uses the garage door multiple times daily to enter and exit the home and drive cars in and out of the garage. Regular inspections and maintenance will keep your garage door in proper working order and extend the door’s life. The AAA Action Garage Doors experts have provided the following garage door maintenance tips to help you get the most out of your garage door between scheduled inspections and repairs.
Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
1. Observation: The key to keeping your garage door in optimal working order is regular testing Open and close your door using your remote and then open it manually. Observe the door as it opens and shuts, and listen to ensure it operates smoothly.
2. Clear garage door tracks: Keeping your tracks clear goes a long way to maintaining your door. Dirt, dust, leaves, and other types of debris can collect along the tracks, causing the door to stick and malfunction. Clean the dirt and grime from the tracks using a damp cloth. If your door is still sticking, contact the experts at AAA Action Garage for maintenance and repairs.
3. Tighten garage door hardware: if you have a busy household, it’s not uncommon for your garage door to be opened and closed multiple times daily. The repetition of opening and closing the door causes the bolts and fasters to loosen. Tighten the nuts and bolts carefully using a socket wrench and a screwdriver. Never overtighten; doing so can lead to additional wear and tear and possible damage to your rollers.
4. Check garage door cables: Inspect your cables for signs of wear, such as tears, fraying, or other types of damage. Damage cables strain the components attached to your garage door and are a safety hazard. Never attempt to adjust the cables yourself. Instead, contact the experts at AAA Action Garage Doors for immediate repairs, park your car in an alternative location, and use a different entrance until the repairs are complete.
5. Inspect garage door rollers: Your garage door rollers are designed to make your door open and close smoothly. Damaged rollers can affect the operation of the door and cause issues with the tracks. Look closely for signs of cracks and other wear and tear. Contact your AAA Action Garage technicians immediately if your door is not rolling properly or skipping along the tracks.
6. Replace weatherstripping on garage door: As the name implies, weatherstripping protects your garage from the outside elements, preventing water damage and protecting your garage from debris blowing under the door. Weather seals also help you maintain the temperature in your garage, saving you money on your energy expenses. Check your weatherstripping twice yearly, in summer and fall, for optimal efficiency.
7. Test garage door safety features: When inspecting your garage door, AAA Action Garage Doors experts recommend checking the safety features to ensure they work correctly. As the door closes, you can check your sensors using a stick or broom. You can also check the auto-reverse by placing an object under the door. If either of these tests fails and the door doesn’t reverse and continues to close, contact AAA Action Garage Door for repairs.
8. Clean garage door: Finally, inspect the inside and outside of the garage door for any signs of damage or general wear. Your overhead door takes a beating and is exposed to weather and dirt daily. To preserve the life of your door and keep it looking like new, use a mild soap and wet sponge to remove all traces of dirt and grime.
Garage Door Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
To learn more about garage door inspections, maintenance, repairs, and replacement for your Las Vegas, Nevada home, contact the experts at AAA Action Garage Doors.