As a part of the maintenance and care of your garage door, you want to ensure that it is being cared for by a professional, with tune-ups, maintenance services, inspections, and repairs as they are needed. As a homeowner, there are a few things you can do; such as cleaning the tracks, ensuring the hardware is tighten, and importantly, keeping the necessary parts well-lubed. With that in mind, we at AAA Action Doors would like to discuss what should be lubed and lube is ideal for your garage door.
Proper Garage Door Lubrication
Proper lubrication is what makes the moving parts move smoothly. It is not the cure for many of the issues you might see, but it contributes to the over efficiency of the garage door. The following should be adequately lubricated:
1) Locks. When the lock is hard to open, or if you use a key and it gets stuck, use a shot of lubricant to improve them. In addition to the moving parts, ensure the lubricant is added to the tumbler.
2) Hinges. Plastic hinges do not need any lubricant, but the steel hinges need a shot of lube at their pivot points. Plastic hinges will corrode if they are lubricated and eventually break down.
3) Rollers. Make sure to only lubricate the bearings without getting any lubricant on the nylon itself providing you have rollers with nylon wheels that make contact with the track. Where all metal rollers do o not require as much precision, you still want to wipe away the excess lube to prevent dripping from pooling on the floor or your vehicle.
4) Springs. The garage torsion springs that lift your garage door multiple times a day should also be sprayed with lubricant. Do not apply so much that it drips, but enough lube that it is equally covered to offer improved movement.
5) Tracks. To eliminate any buildup that interferes with the function of the garage door’s opening and closing, first wipe away the dust and debris from the tracks. The tracks do not need lube, but having them cleaned and free of obstacles promotes efficiency with your garage door’s function.
Garage Door Maintenance
After you have applied the lubricant to the necessary elements, open the door and close three times or so to distribute the lube evenly. If you hear abnormal sounds, follow the sound until find the source and assess the moving part. Lube may not be the fix as it could be wearing thin and require replacement. Contact a professional for assistance and proper diagnosis.
Use the Right Garage Door Lubricant
Many homeowners who want to take care of the lube maintenance in between professional maintenance services are unsure what lube is appropriate. Resist using WD-40 for your garage door parts. People are often confused with the use of this product. WD-40 has rust-destroying and degreasing properties ideally used to improve metal parts movement. The purpose of this product is to clean, not to lubricate. Choose silicone spray or white lithium grease to lubricate those moving parts in lieu of WD-40. These materials won’t attract dust or gum up like mechanic’s grease or engine oil an aerosol are particularly optimal for this project is it can inject into small moving parts. Keeping your garage door adequately lubed can help you eliminate the loud noises and keep your garage door operating smoothly.
Garage Door Maintenance & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
If your garage door is still making abnormally loud sounds, or demonstrating other issues, call AAA Action Doors and let our professionals assess and repair your Las Vegas, Nevada Valley garage door. Contact us today!