The garage door system is made of several components that from time to time will require maintenance and replacement. One of these components is the garage door springs. The garage door spring is one of most common components that often needs replacing. AAA Action Garage Doors will share how you can spot bad springs so as to better alert you to know when it is time to replace your garage door spring.
Types of Garage Door Springs; Extension & Torsion
There are two types of garage door springs used in residential garage door systems. To know if your garage door springs are wearing out, it first helps to known what type of garage door spring you have. The two garage door springs used are Torsion springs and Extension springs.
Torsion Springs – Large or over-sized garage doors often uses torsion springs. If the garage door itself weighs over 400 to 900 pounds, torsion spring are used. The torsion springs are located on the top of the garage door and on the inside of the garage. The torsion spring looks like a long black tube. The tube is covering the spring.
Extension Springs – Extension springs are used for smaller garage doors that are around 9’x7’ in size. Extension springs are located on the track of the garage door. The track follows the ceiling down the side of the garage door opening. The extension spring looks like a trampoline spring and are on both sides of the track, toward the ceiling.
What Happens When a Garage Door Spring Breaks?
The first obvious sign that you need to replace your springs is that they are broken. The springs can break over time and will split in half or begin to break. When the spring breaks you will want to hire a garage door technician to handle the replacement. Some other additional signs that your garage door springs are going bad or are bad is:
• Your garage door jerks and shakes or even stops while it is opening or closing.
• Your garage door looks like it is sagging or crooked on one side.
• You may see gaps in the springs like they are spreading apart, kind of like a slinky. Or they are stretched out.
• If your garage door had a collision recently, this can cause damages to garage door and cause the springs to break.
Importance of Replacing Garage Door Springs
The garage door springs support the entire weight of the garage door. In order to continue a smooth operation of the garage door, the springs must be holding the garage door evenly. Additionally, it helps to prevent accidents and injury. When the springs break, the garage door can come down while it is being opened. If any one was underneath the door when it falls it can cause serious injury and even death.
Lifespan of Garage Door Springs
Garage door springs are good for 10,000 activations; meaning each time your garage door opens and closes. Depending on the garage doors usage, that means springs can last anywhere from 7 to 12 years. To help extend your springs usage, regularly apply silicone lubricates on the springs.
Garage Door Replacement & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
If you’re seeing signs of your garage door springs wearing out or find they are broken, AAA Action Garage Doors can help maintain, repair, or replace any of your garage door components. Contact AAA Action Garage Doors today.
Garage doors experience their fair share of use around the home, especially when they are the primary source your family uses to enter and exit the home multiple times a day, every day. With it being the largest moving component to your home, it is a fair assumption it requires routine maintenance and care by you and a trusted professional. However, with even diligent maintenance services, over time the garage door will eventually need to be replaced. Whether it needs replace sooner or later, we at AAA Action Doors has compiled a list of red flags that indicate your garage door is in need of replacing.
Signs You Need a Garage Door Replacement
1) Deteriorated garage door parts. The different parts of your garage door will naturally experience wear and tear and fall apart and many of them can be easily replaced, allowing your garage door to operate at its full potential. But in the event these parts have been malfunctioning for a time, the other components that had to compensate or even just simply not work accordingly can contribute to damage to excessive damages, leaving your garage door in need of costly repairs. It would be more cost effective to replace the garage door in many such circumstances. For homes equipped with a wooden garage door that has extensive splintering or broken edges; a replacement should definitely be considered despite the condition of the mechanical operating system.
2) Damaged garage door wiring. Electronic failure and wiring or cords that are beyond repairable is a safety hazard that can contribute to injury or damage. Essential for efficient opening and closing of your garage door, these electronic components need to be operating at peak performance. If the wiring is hindering your garage doors safety protocols and performance, it can be time for a garage door replacement.
3) Garage door opening and closing inefficiently. If your garage door is not opening or closing fluidly, a serious problem can occur during operation; causing harm or damage. The shaking door is a primary sign that something isn’t operating accordingly. Garage doors run smooth by design and if the door is stuttering, it indicates a problem. Depending on the seriousness of the issues; a replacement might be the better investment.
4) Unfamiliar sounds when garage door is opened or closed. Groans of protest and unusual sounds are due to malfunctioning components. Although in some instances, a replacement is needed due to the nature and depth of the damage where in few situations all that is needed is simple repairs.
5) Non-existent garage door safety features. The safety features may not be up to par or non-existent in your garage door despite the seemingly functioning efficiency. It is essential all safety features and protocols current with coding and guidelines are in place for garage doors. If the garage door lacks safety features it can potentially cause bodily harm to your little ones, furry friends, anyone else that might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Replace your garage door with a door that has an excellent safety-rating to keep your loved ones safe from harm and property safe from damage.
6) Poor garage door security. In an effort to not appear suspicious, burglars will attempt to use garage door access if they see the garage door lacks security. Using the weakness to their advantage they will victimize your home if the garage door is not offering the necessary security. To protect your assets and your loved ones, investing in a garage door that operates efficiently and includes added safety features is prudent.
Garage Door Replacement in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
To decide whether or not your garage door is need of repair or replacement, contact the specialists of AAA Action Garage Doors to allow our experts to perform a comprehensive inspection.
Are you sick of looking at your old garage door? Are there dents, noise and parts that just don’t seem to work? If you answer yes to any of these it might be time to have a new garage door installed. The garage door is one of the first things that people see when they pull up to your house. It is also part of the overall curb appeal of your home which helps also with the resale value of your home. When you are getting a new garage door installed in your home it is important to ask the right questions. You can ask the company what the best options are for you to ensure that you get what you want. They will be able to walk you through your decisions and what you are getting.
AAA Action Garage Doors Lists the Most Common Questions Asked When Choosing a New Garage Door
Lifespan of Garage Doors: One of the most common questions that a new garage door owner will ask is how long should the door last. This is a great question and each type of door has their own manufactured life time. This is only a suggested time because if you don’t care for the garage door it will go out sooner. There are moving parts that can wear out before the door. These need to be maintained and lubricated in order to keep them running smooth. The maintenance on the door is what will allow the it to last for the longest amount of time. You also will need to take into account the type of door, motor and springs that you have.
Pros & Cons of Garage Door Materials: When you are looking to replace your garage door it is best to decide on what type of material that you should choose. There are several options such as wood, vinyl and metal. There are pros and cons to each type of door and doing your research on them each will help you decide. Some are more sustainable and others need a bit more maintenance to keep them looking their best. If you choose a wood door it is less likely to take on small dings and dents and it brings a level of elegance to your home.
Insulated VS Non Garage Doors: The garage if it is attached to the house should be looked at for insulation. The door is a huge opening and even when it is closed the gaps are enough to give the elements outdoors access. You want to be sure if you have a bedroom or other room above the garage you invest in an insulated garage door. It will help with the efficiency of the house in general. If you have a detached garage you can probably do without the insulation depending on what you are keeping in the garage.
New Garage Door Insulation In Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
AAA Action Garage Doors offers expert residential and commercial garage door services. Contact us today!
The garage door is a part of the home that is used to gain access to the garage as well as the house. It is pertinent to have this area secured properly to keep your home safe. The garage door has many areas that can be broken, damaged as well as worn out that are in need of attention. When they are left unrepaired the door will no longer function the way that it is supposed to. You want to ensure that the repairs are done by a professional garage door repair company since the garage door is an extremely heavy object. One wrong repair can send the door falling even if there is someone or something that is in the way. Knowing what areas of your garage door may need serviced, repaired or replaced lets you know what to look out for.
AAA Action Garage Doors Lists Areas That Will Need Replacement & Service On Your Garage Door
Garage Door Springs Inspection: One area of the garage door that is important to the actual function of the doors movement is the springs. The garage door works with many parts that when all in good working condition will allow the door to open and close with ease. The springs are a big part and they are very durable but over time they can start to stretch out. Just like any kind of spring the resiliency in the spring will diminish the more it is used. At some point they will not safely operate the door. They can over time also succumb to rust from the elements. When this happens the rust will weaken the metal causing it to break down. When the springs break the door will no longer work any longer. Be sure to have your springs inspected as well as replaced when it is necessary.
Garage Door Motor Service: The motor is at the top of the garage door and it is the mechanical part. The motor will start up when the garage door button is pushed. This will start off the reaction that allows the door to pull up and down. The motor is a mechanical part which means that it needs to be inspected and serviced on occasion. You want to also be sure that when you suspect the motor is running sluggish or the motor does not engage right away you have it repaired or replaced. It will need to be replaced after it has run its course to keep the door operational.
Garage Door Rollers & Hinges Check: The other part that needs to be inspected and also maintained are the rollers and the hinges. They are parts that need to move smoothly to keep the door opening and closing. When they are broken or not moving smoothly the door can be noisy or have jerking movements.
Garage Door Inspections & More in Summerlin, North LV, Henderson, Enterprise, Paradise, Sunrise Manor, Spring Valley, Anthem, Desert Shores, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes & Las Vegas Nevada
Call AAA Action Doors for all your garage door needs!